BLUEAIR 403 HEPA SILENT AIR PURIFIER
EASE OF USE
- Hepa Silent Filters
- No Ozone or off gas
- High Air Flow
- No Prefilter Included
Indeed, for an air purifier that improves your indoor air quality with virtually no noise, a Blueair air purifier will be a top choice. For bedrooms of up to 365 square feet, the Blueair 403 is ideal.
The Blueair 403 HEPASilent air purification system uses a patented electrostatic technology to capture 99.97% of pollen, dust mites, mold spores and pet dander particles in the air when used on speed one.
HEPASilent filters are not quite the same as ordinary HEPA filters. Unlike most older electrostatic filters which decline in efficiency as they age, true HEPA filters maintain their efficiency levels no matter how old they are, but require extra energy to operate and have noise issues. Blueair have created a hybrid filter design which combines electrostatics and charged media filters to reduce energy costs, increase throughput and obtain a similar performance to a true HEPA filter, and have achieved great success with their product.
The Blueair filter uses a brush-type ion emitter to give incoming airborne particles a negative charge which then allows them to be attracted to the polypropylene filter media which is positively charged.
The 3 stage progressive filter is made up of three individual fiber layers, each with tighter spaces to ensure even the smallest particles are trapped.
A carbon layer has also been added to help improve with odor control. Blueair's filters require no addition of antimicrobial chemicals as micro-organism growth does not take place in polypropylene filters.
Another advantage to the HEPASilent filter is that it requires very little cleaning and only needs replacing every 6 months, and replacement is very simple.
The 403 comes complete with a magnetic 6 month filter count-down timer which remains accurate as long as the Blueair is kept running constantly. Replacement filters cost around $60.
Filters are recommended to be changed twice a year, although homes that are almost particle free as they have no resident pets or smokers may make a single filter last all year. Every time the filter is changed, the interior of the machine and ionizing brushes should be vacuumed.
- The combination of electrostatic and and HEPA-like technology means that the Blueair's performance is of a similar standard to residential HEPA filters. This means that they are able to trap particles as small as 0.1 micron.
- No ozone or off-gas is produced by the use of electrostatic technology.
- Because the polypropylene filter is not as dense a material as that used in a HEPA filter, the filter is less restricted and has an improved flow of air. Noise levels are also reduced, as is the amount of fan power required.
- The Blueair has a high air flow which cleans air rapidly, and because it operates virtually silently it is unobtrusive to use both day and night in the home.
- Blueair's design has won awards for its stylish look and effective performance. Filter changing is also really quick and simple.
- The polypropylene material used for the filter is environmentally friendly, as well as being safe and effective. It also repels moisture and prevents the growth of mold and mildew naturally. This means that there is no need to use any chemicals to prevent mold and mildew from growing as they often are in other HEPA filters made from glass fiber.
- The handy magnetic count-down timer enables the user to see easily when six months have passed and the filter needs replacing to ensure it is operating to maximum efficiency.
- The Blueair has no pre-filter included in its design. This means that dust can accumulate on the fan and inside the unit which is difficult to remove. Using a pre-filter helps to prolong the filter's life by preventing large particles from clogging the filter.
When it comes to particle filtration, the HEPASilent filter is excellent. However, because there is no carbon included, odors, chemicals and gases are unable to be removed from the air. If Blueair also added a pre-filter to their product, the main filter would enjoy a longer useful lifespan and require less frequent replacement. The Blueair 403, nevertheless, represents great value and is one of the best air purifiers in its price range.
If buyers are prepared to spend a little more, the Blueair 450e is an excellent choice at only around $50 more than the 403, and it offers the added advantage of being sensor-automated.
Both models use Blueair technology and offer the high quality air purifying that you would expect from a top Swedish design. Both models also have the same dimensions, choice of colors, and can cover the same amount of space. They also have the same airflow, CADR, and require the same power input. Both models are also energy star qualified and use the same type of filters: either the HEPASilent Particle Filter or the SmokeStop Filter.
The difference, however, is that the Blueair 403 does not have an automatic mode. The 403 also has a slight difference in the buttons, lacks a filter replacement indicator, and does not have a timer or remote control. The 403 also does not have an air quality sensor to monitor the quality of the surrounding air. On the other hand, the 403 comes in at a lower price.
upgrade for just a little more
The Blueair 450e should be the air purifier of choice for anyone who can afford to pay the extra, however for those on a budget, the Blueair 403 is perfectly adequate. The 403 should be considered as the entry-level Blueair, as those from the 200 series are less efficient. Those who require an air purifier to clear rooms of under 300 square feet and who would prefer a quiet-running model should consider buying the 403 rather than the 500 or 600 model.