Get Rid of Mold Spores and Odor with the Best Air Purifiers for Mold
Imagine the horror if your allergy prone child is suddenly gasping for air; it is not something that you would like to experience ever. The culprit- mold spores infesting the air we breathe; the solution- the best air purifiers for mold that promises to eradicate the air borne pollutants present in the air.
What cannot be seen cannot hurt you! The truth is far from this. The unwanted fine particles can create havoc. It is therefore necessary that one must invest wisely in an air purifier for mold that has been chosen after extensive research. But don’t worry, we have already done the hard work for you and narrowed it down to the best air purifiers for mold So, you can skip the marketing jargon and decide for yourself the one that is really best for your family.
The Benefits of Eliminating Mold for Health and Home
The first point of detection of mold in your house is the musty odor it emanates. Too many people let mold linger for too long, but there is so much more to mold than just an unpleasant smell. Therefore it’s important to know why molds pose such a great risk to your health and family:
- Un-clustered molds are the ones which pose the greatest risk. Since they are invisible to the naked eye, you often won’t realize how frequently you are inhaling their spores.
- Children and older members of the family are vulnerable because of their susceptibility to catch allergens present in the air.
- Molds present in the air can cause serious respiratory problems.
- In the case of toxic molds, other disorders involving the nervous system can also set in.
- Mycotoxins present in a mold infested environment are a fatal threat to humans.
The correct air purifier can clean the air from the perils of molds, and remove any musty odors from mildew and other types of mold. Make sure you chose the cleaner that is specifically targeted at your situation, for instance a specialized air purifier for basement.
Why is Mold So Dangerous to Us?
Mold is microscopic substances that belong to the family of fungi and possess various health-related problems if not taken care of immediately. Although there are other areas where mold is important such as in the manufacturing of the blue cheese, the same case does not apply when the fungus is on the walls floor or the carpet in your house.
Mold affects everyone as no one likes the foul smell that comes from the area and it also tends to affect the people with asthma or allergic reactions significantly. So the only solution to keeping you and your family safe is by investing in the best and high-quality Air fresheners.
Different Types of molds
Molds are classified into the following groups.
All the above types of molds have similar effects to human health, and therefore you should ensure that you eliminate everything that promotes the growth of molds.
What triggers the growth of the molds?
Molds grow in areas that are dark or have poor ventilation; warm areas can also harbor molds and regions that are moist or wet can provide a favorable environment for mold to grow. After the fungus has matured, it produces seeds referred to as mold spores which are the ones that cause the allergic reactions when flown in the air. The size of the spores is equal to the scale of the dust particles, and that is the reason why they can swim through your respiratory system where they cause the severe effect on people especially the ones with asthma.
How to eliminate mold in your home
The best method that is widely used in removing mold from your home is the use of air purifiers. The air purifier is designed with the chemical filter referred to as HEPA that works by preventing the multiplication of mold growth in the house. When the spores are flown in the air, they settle in different areas of the house, and they tend to grow if these regions have all the necessary factors that facilitate the growth of the fungus.
Therefore HEPA air purifier prevents the spreading of the spores by trapping them. The mold spores measure about 0.3 microns and so when buying your air purifier make sure that it is efficient to microns that are less than 0.3.
The best air purifier to buy for mold remediation
Note that there are so many brands of air purifier in the market, but the best and the most efficient air purifier is the one that has HEPA filter since it is certified and passed to be the best air purifier for mold elimination.
How does the HEPA filter work?
HEPA filters help eliminate the molds by trapping all the airborne mold spores hence preventing the spores from spreading all over the house. So to make the product more useful, place the HEPA filter in the area where fungus tends to grow and ensure that you frequently replace if the product or chemical runs out. Read the user manual to know when you are supposed to replace the filter.
About HEPA air purifiers
The AirMega 300 & 300S which is voted as the best and number one leading company in producing air purifiers. What makes the HEPA air purifier to be the best mold remedy is because the product is made using thick chemicals and has activated carbon filter which makes it essential to remove all the mold spores and the odor produced by the growing fungus. So not only does HEPA help prevent the growth of molds but it also contributes to restoring fresh air in the home.
Facts about air purifier and mold elimination
- Note that air purifiers do not help to stop the growth of mold, but the product helps prevent the growth of mold in other areas of the house via trapping the airborne spores.
- Molds can also produce toxic spores referred to as mycotoxins which are more harmful in causing allergic reactions and affects the people with asthma. These toxic spores affect all individuals and may lead to the development of various symptoms such as skin irritation and cough
- One way to ensure that your home is completely free of mold growth is by making sure that all the factors that provide a good breeding room for the fungus are eliminated. Use a hygrometer and a humidity gauge to help you monitor the room temperature in your home
- Ensure there is enough free flow of air in your house and maintain all the rooms dry.Ensure your house has a humid level of 40 to 50 percent
- Use the air purifier continuously to prevent the spreading of the molds, and you can also clean up the services that have mold built up.
How to Choose the Best Mold Air Purifiers for Your Home
If the health of your family matters to you then you should know that molds and mildew should be dealt with at the primary source. High humidity environments are conducive to spore and mold propagation.
Our recommendation is to:
- Treat the source first
- Install a mold air purifier that is designed to get rid of mold and spores from the air and
- Install a dehumidifier that ensures that the environment’s humidity is kept around 40-45%.
An air purifier or simply, an air cleaner is a device that removes or eliminates contaminants from the air in a room. They range in prices and size but it is always best to choose quality over cost. When it comes on to choosing the right mold air purifier for my family, there are two main features that we consider. They are:
- Purification methods/Purification system- The air purifier has to have the ability to kill molds. This is essential in eliminating toxins by trapping spores and living microbes in a dry High-efficiency microbial air (HEPA) filter which causes organism to die due to lack of moisture. This exactly what we want, especially when our kids have asthma and allergies.
- Staged filtration and Filter Specification- A filtration system that effectively isolates particulate matter via internal seals between cleansing stages is ideal. Such a system should have component construction developed and medical grade HEPA for heavy use. This means that even if some microbes or spores make it through various stages once they get to the medical grade HEPA filter with its multi-staged purification they are completely eliminated.
If you want to get more technical and specific here are some other features to consider when choosing the right air purifier for spores, particularly during those long winter and wet months:
- Internal Seals– Besides from dust particles most pollutants are tiny/microscopic and if the air purifier is not assembled with internal seals to prevent air from being lost before it has been cleaned then you might as well not even have a mold air purifier at all.
- Media quality and Volume- The material has to be of sound quality. Materials that contain activated carbon with more weight provide a great surface area which pollutants quickly adhere to, and also last longer. So when in doubt, check the weight and material just be on the safe side.
- Medical Grade A HEPA- A company’s selection of medical-grade, high-performace HEPA filters not only shows exceptional device functionality but also the company’s commitment to optimal customer health. This way you can rest assured that your family is getting the best of the best.
- Industrial Design- When it comes to mold spore removal, damp spaces that are undergoing remodeling or or remediation come to mind. This might not always be the case but a good air purifier should be tough enough to take a minor beating and be devoid of components that break when you manhandle them. You know how kids can be at times when they play inside.
If you are not convinced yet as to why you should buy an air purifier specifically for Spore Removal then here is some more insight.
Pollen, spores, viruses and other pollutants like dust particles all show evidence of reducing the air quality inside our homes. The American Lung Association considers this to be a significant threat to our medical health and wellness, potentially causing absence from both work and school, therefore decreasing productivity.
That said, a literal plethora of medical studies are available that explain the relationship between molds, and respiratory illnesses like asthma. The use of an air purifier indoor to remove spores and other microbes greatly improves your respiratory health; while minimizing the risks that have been associated with airborne pollutants. The mechanical filters found on the inside are also designed to capture particles like tobacco smoke which as we know often leads to many other illnesses.
A bonus to having a good air purifier for mold removal is that some are good at removing odors from your home, especially specific models that contain the HEPA filters. Everyone likes coming home to a clean odor free home so ensure you get the best model for your family. The best part is that with some air purifiers you do not need to worry about consumption, especially if your contamination level is low.
Therefore, it is a must that the best option be chosen because it can have a lasting impact on the long-term health of family, friends and even animals.
Here are the top qualities for you and your loved ones:
- Multi-Stage air Cleaning
- HEPA filtration
- Air cleaner Construction- There are Industrial seals that are designed to keep pollutants from leaving once captured by the machine without allowing the machine itself to become compromised by the environment. Therefore keeping you and your family safe.
- User Interface- Easy to configure, use and understand. These are mostly “set them and forget them” devices but it is important to understand the filter change settings and automation functions are an important part of the consumer experience.
- Sensor Technology- Not too many sensors are considered necessities on machines like these but it is important to know when the filter needs to be replaced. Sensors that detect a change in environment to adjust the speed of the fan based on pollutant detection is also vital.
- Caster Wheels-Be sure that your air purifier has caster wheels which provide an additional level of ease and convenience for when you have to move your machine or remove it from the box. This is especially beneficial for the elderly and larger units.
- Not choosing the air purifier with the best filter system
- Ensure that the material is made from medical-grade HEPA filters
In the case of a mold air purifier, there are certain features to look for:
- Watch out for the Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) which is a direct indication of the device’s capacity to filter the pollutants that are air borne.
- Ensure that you look for the best HEPA air purifier for mold. Hepa filters are capable of removing maximum air pollutants of sizes of minimum 0.3 mm and more. An additional feature of having pre-filters attached will result in lesser instances of replacements.
- Look for safety concerns and absolutely keep away from ozone spilling air purifiers that cause more harm than good.
- Make sure the purifier can remove mold odor in the house.
Benefits of air purifiers designed to REMOVE Mold
The air purifiers are essential for eliminating the mold spores, but they don’t eliminate mold in your house. The product does not produce any moist which tends to provide a healthy environment for the spores to shoot, unlike other products.
Therefore, be careful when buying the air purifier as some brands may cause the molds to multiply rather than helping you eliminate it. To be on a safe side, buy the air purifier that is certified with HEPA.
Presenting the Top 3 Best Air Purifiers for Mold
Customer Favorite Pick the Therapure Germicidal Air Purifier
Check out the features and specifications of the Therapure Germicidal Air Purifier with Permanent Filter, a hot favorite among the customers. It has an eco-friendly design with very easy controls. Star features include:
- Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation that excels in destroying the microscopic germs.
- The Electrostatic Purification work towards reducing allergens, smoke, pollen, mold, bad smells, dust and other pollutants.
Best Selling Air Purifier for Mold on Amazon
Another customer favorite is the GermGuardian AC4825, 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA, UV-C and Odour Reduction. Its best features include:
- A size most suitable for small and medium sized enclosures.
- True Hepa filtration that eradicates 99.97% of pollutants and allergens.
- Brings about a significant reduction in the asthma inducing triggers, a fact accredited by the American Academy of Paediatric Allergy and Immunology Faculty.
- Activated carbon that fights germs and odour.
- The UV-C light that along with its filter kill bacteria and mold spores
Best Value: Austin Air Healthmate HM400 Air Purifier
For best value, you need to credit the Austin Air Healthmate HM450+ Air Purifier. It has a name for itself when it comes to combat allergens. It is the most economical of the lot and the makers claim that it requires no change or replacement of the HEPA mold filter.
Top Quality: Winix Plasmawave 5300 Air Purifier
Then there is the winix plasmawave 5300 air cleaner model which is touted for the best air purifier for mold. Apart from the true Hepa filter and the carbon filters for odor control, it also comes equipped with the PlasmaWave Technology, a trademark inclusion of the company. It is hailed as the best air purifier for basement because it provides customers with the 3-stage air cleaning experience through the HEPA, Carbon and the PlasmaWave technology. Apart from being a bit expensive than the other models, it has everything else going for it.