What is the best air purifier?
Your quick buying guide and air purifier reviews for 2015
Since the rising pollution levels continue to deteriorate the air quality, the role of air purifiers becomes significantly essential. Smoke, dust, pollen, pet dander and other allergens can become a problem for your overall health.
A good quality air purifier helps to curb the effects of these harmful particles in the air inside your home. But how do you find the right purifier for your situation? Do you need to improve the air in your entire house, then you should find a whole house uv air purifier. Or do you only need to clear the air of your daughter's bedroom because she's allergic to your cat? Then you need an air cleaner for pet dander.
To save you time, money and energy, I have created a complete guide to find the best suitable purifier for your home. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!
Best Recommended Air Purifiers 2015
|Coverage (sq. ft)||CADR (Dust / Smoke / Pollen)||Stars||Price|
IQAir New Edition HealthPro Plus
Germ Guardian AC4825
|155||100 / 100 / 100||4|
Winix PlasmaWave 5300
|350||248 / 235 / 251||4|
Blueair 403 HepaSilent Air-Purification System
|365||240 / 240 / 240||4.3|
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST AIR PURIFIER FOR YOUR HOUSE
Selecting the most appropriate air purifier for your home can be a difficult task as there are some important factors which have to considered before purchasing one. Moreover, the different varieties and designs make it a little bit more tricky to make a decision.
The different types of purifiers
There are a few points which could be kept in mind while looking for the top air purifier for your home situation. For instance, what are you using it for? You might only need to get rid of odor, in which case you could opt for the Therapure air purifier. If you are looking for something which takes care of a large room, you should look at the Honeywell True Hepa air purifier which is the best large room air purifier.
These are some of the different types of purifiers to choose from:
- Smoke Eliminators - read guide
- Air Purifiers for Allergies - read guide
- Air Purifiers for Mold - read guide
- Air Purifiers for Pet Hair - read guide
Aside from the specific purpose you are looking for, looking at these additional features can help you to make the right decision:
- Ionizing cleaning method
These air purifiers use charged particles to attract other particles such as dust and pollen. The purifiers come with metal plates which attract the contaminants once they pass through the electric field. The contaminants are attracted to the plates due to the opposite charge. Some particles are even attracted to each other to charge difference which makes them heavier and eventually leads to the contaminants being settled out of the air.
- Types of Filters
Filters are used to clean the air which passes through them. The design and functions of the filters makes them clean the air from contaminants. Usually filters are made from cotton, fiberglass or foam. The density of the filters also plays a key role in controlling the way the air is filtered. Smaller the gap means smaller contaminants can be trapped.
A top rated air purifier usually uses true High Efficiency Particulate Air filters (HEPA). These able to remove particles which are under 0.3 micrometers or bigger. These filters allow only a certain amount of air to flow through them.
Having a true HEPA filter and/or carbon filter plays a key role of filtering out odors. Some air purifiers may not be equipped with one therefore directly affecting the capabilities of the machine to give the desired performance.
- Use of Adsorbents
These filters use an adsorbent material to trap contaminants. The most popular adsorbent material is activated charcoal. The surface of this material makes it perfect to trap differently sized contaminants and filter the air clean.
- Ozone Generators
These air purifiers use electric charges or UV light to turn the passing oxygen into ozone. The ozone molecules in turn clean the air. However, the use of such purifiers is not recommended due to the health risks which are associated with ozone.
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR)
This factor tells us how capable the air purifier is in removing harmful and toxic substances from the air. The CADR rating of the purifier is usually provided on the seal. It is required to filter the air from substances like dust, pollen and the impurities which are given off with tobacco smoke.
- Safety of Use
This is an extremely important factor which needs to be considered when purchasing an air purifier. Some of the air purifiers may produce ozone or other chemicals which are extremely harmful for the human respiratory system.
- Other Features
The design of the air purifier is also important when judging it on the basis of being a user friendly product. The overall design of the product including the LEDs, knobs, fans etc may play a key role in determining the usability of the air purifier. Features such as ionizer, carbon filter and pre filter also count.
BEST AIR PURIFIERS FOR 2015
Once you determine which type of purifier you need and can afford, you can look at reviews of other users. To save you time and energy, I compiled a list of the current Top 10 Air Purifiers, based on my own experiences and many consumer reviews:
- IQAir New Edition HealthPro Plus: This air purifier has an ultimate combination of features and performance. The 4 stage filtration unit comes with HyperHEPA filters through which it is able to remove contaminants of different sizes. If your aim is to eliminate all smells, allergens and toxins from your entire house, the IQAir is the best whole house air purifier.
Read full IQAir HealthPro review
- Honeywell 50250-S: The Honeywell 500250-S comes with a carbon pre filter which is the perfect way to remove contaminants of different sizes. It is the best option for people who are suffering from asthma or other breathing allergies making it an allergy pro air purifier.
- Greentech GT50-S: This amazing air purifier has the ability to free the air from contaminants such as smoke, allergens, dust and also bacteria like Salmonella, E-coli and Candida. This is also a great air purifier for mold.
- Austin Health Mate HM450+: This is the best smoke air purifier. It can also filter out benzene, formaldehyde and VOCs. This is the ideal air purifier for tobacco smokers. The Austin Health Mate HM450+ is also one of the best air purifier for pets.
- Surround Air XJ-3800 Intelli-Pro: With 7 filters, this purifier is able to give you the cleanest air which you can breathe.
- Therapure UV Germicidal: This air purifier comes with HEPA filters. The 3 speed fan of the filter makes it one of the most user friendly designs.
Air is the most basic component for our survival. It is equally important as all we consume to keep our bodies going. Fresh air helps our mind and body to relax and stay in a state of calmness. Improve your air, improve your life!