Your quick buying guide for the Best air purifier reviews of 2016
When I was looking into buying one of the best air purifiers for my daughter, one of the hardest things I found was the wide range of choices, and that’s where I aim to help others!
Totally lost? No worries, I’ve created a complete guide which you can read below.
Short on Time
As the saying goes time is money. If you are short on time and would like to skip to our top picks of Air Purifiers. Then we have created a section here with our top picks for you to check out.
- Best Value Air Cleaner Overall
- Best Whole House Air Purifier
- Quietest Bedroom Air Purifier
- Best Air Purifier for Allergies and and Asthma
- Best Smoke Air Purifier
If you are strapped for time, check out this quick overview of the top rated purifiers on the market:
Germ Guardian AC4825
- By far the best Value when it comes to air purifiers.
- Best Selling Air Purifier on Amazon
- The AC4825 cleans room up to 400sq ft with easy to install and replace True HEPA Filters
- A couple of the purifiers sold have been said to have a rattle or two, but this isn't a wide spread problem
Need to Know
Our top pick for a wallet friendly air purifier that does a great job without all the frills of the more expensive models
Coway AP1512 purifier
Honeywell True Hepa A300
IQAir Health Pro Plus
Why do YOU need to clean your air?
Everyone might have different reasons when they look for an air cleaner. Do you need to improve the air in your entire house, then you should find a whole house uv air purifier. Or do you need to clean the air of your daughter’s bedroom because she’s allergic to your cat? Then you need an air cleaner for pet dander.
To make sure you end up with the right purifier, I have created an extensive guide below:
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST AIR PURIFIER FOR YOUR HOUSE
Looking for a more in-depth guide on a particular type of air cleaner, then check out the guides we created for you below. Already know what type of air cleaner need?
- Whole House Air Purifier Guide
- Smoke Air Purifier Guide
- Pet Allergy and Pet Dander Air Purifier Guide
- Mold Air Purifiers Guide
- Air Purifiers for Allergies Guide
Smoke, dust, pollen, pet dander and other allergens can become a problem for your overall health. A good quality air purifier helps to curb the effects of these harmful particles in the air inside your home.
Selecting the most appropriate air purifier for your home can be a difficult task as there are some important factors which have to considered before purchasing one. Moreover, the different varieties and designs make it a little bit more tricky to make a decision.
1. The different types of purifiers
There are a few points which could be kept in mind while looking for the top air purifier for your home situation. For instance, what are you using it for? You might only need to get rid of odor, in which case you could opt for the Therapure air purifier. If you are looking for something which takes care of a large room, you should look at the Honeywell True Hepa air purifier which is the best large room air purifier.
These are some of the different types of purifiers to choose from:
- Smoke Eliminators – read guide
- Air Purifiers for Allergies – read guide
- Air Purifiers for Mold – read guide
- Air Purifiers for Pet Hair – read guide
2. Additional Features
Aside from the specific purpose you are looking for, looking at these additional features can help you to make the right decision:
- Ionizing cleaning method
These air purifiers use charged particles to attract other particles such as dust and pollen. The purifiers come with metal plates which attract the contaminants once they pass through the electric field. The contaminants are attracted to the plates due to the opposite charge. Some particles are even attracted to each other to charge difference which makes them heavier and eventually leads to the contaminants being settled out of the air.
- Types of Filters
Filters are used to clean the air which passes through them. The design and functions of the filters makes them clean the air from contaminants. Usually filters are made from cotton, fiberglass or foam. The density of the filters also plays a key role in controlling the way the air is filtered. Smaller the gap means smaller contaminants can be trapped.
- HEPA Filter
A top rated air purifier usually uses true High Efficiency Particulate Air filters (HEPA). These able to remove particles which are under 0.3 micrometers or bigger. These filters allow only a certain amount of air to flow through them.Having a true HEPA filter and/or carbon filter plays a key role of filtering out odors. Some air purifiers may not be equipped with one therefore directly affecting the capabilities of the machine to give the desired performance.
- Use of Adsorbents
These filters use an adsorbent material to trap contaminants. The most popular adsorbent material is activated charcoal. The surface of this material makes it perfect to trap differently sized contaminants and filter the air clean.
- Ozone Generators
These air purifiers use electric charges or UV light to turn the passing oxygen into ozone. The ozone molecules in turn clean the air. However, the use of such purifiers is not recommended due to the health risks which are associated with ozone.
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR)
This factor tells us how capable the air purifier is in removing harmful and toxic substances from the air. The CADR rating of the purifier is usually provided on the seal. It is required to filter the air from substances like dust, pollen and the impurities which are given off with tobacco smoke.
- Safety of Use
This is an extremely important factor which needs to be considered when purchasing an air purifier. Some of the air purifiers may produce ozone or other chemicals which are extremely harmful for the human respiratory system.
- Other Features
The design of the air purifier is also important when judging it on the basis of being a user friendly product. The overall design of the product including the LEDs, knobs, fans etc may play a key role in determining the usability of the air purifier. Features such as ionizer, carbon filter and pre filter also count.
BEST AIR PURIFIERS FOR 2016
Once you determine which type of purifier you need and can afford, you can look at reviews of other users. To save you time and energy, I compiled a list of the Best Air Purifiers on the market today, based on my own experiences and many consumer reviews:
Best Selling Air Purifier on Amazon
- GermGuardian AC4825: This is a highly portable air purifier which is able to clean the air just the way you want it to be and without the noise! GermGuardian AC4825, 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA, UV-C and Odor Reduction stands at 22-inches and has multiple levels of cleaning to capture allergens, kill airborne viruses and bacteria, and destroy mold and odors. It is ideal to use in medium-size rooms and is CADR rated 100+.
Read full GermGuardian review
Best Whole house Air Purifier
- IQAir New Edition HealthPro Plus: This air purifier has an ultimate combination of features and performance. The 4 stage filtration unit comes with HyperHEPA filters through which it is able to remove contaminants of different sizes. If your aim is to eliminate all smells, allergens and toxins from your entire house, the IQAir is the best whole house air purifier.
Read full IQAir HealthPro review
Consumer’s Choice Best Air Purifier
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier with True HEPA and Eco Mode: Compact Size, Might Power!! The Mighty Air Purifier is compact by design, but is equipped with cutting edge features to keep your indoor air clean. Equipped with a HEPA efficiency rating of 99.97%, it uses a four-stage filtration system to effectively eliminate odors and pollutants. This mighty machine includes an air quality indicator through our particle sensing technology that will kick your air purifier into high gear when needed. And when 30 minutes when pollution is not detected for 30 minutes, the fan will automatically stop to save energy. Read Full Coway AP1512HH Mighty Air Purifier Review
Highly Rated Winix Air Purifier
- Winix PlasmaWave 5300: This Winix air purifier is one of the few which comes with a built in quality sensor. The 3 stage filtration system air purifier is the perfect one for rooms of 350 square feet. Winix’s PlasmaWave Series WAC5300 combines the best air cleaning technologies to deliver the cleanest air you can make yourself. The WAC5300 contains a 99.97% efficient True HEPA Filter, Odor Control Carbon Pre-Filters, and PlasmaWave Technology. All three of these advanced technologies provide you with superior control over household odors, pollutants, and allergens. Read full Winix 5300 review
Best Air Purifier for Dust
- Blueair 403 HepaSilent Air Purification System: The 4 speed fan of the filter make clean air delivery easy in your room. The filtration process does not mean you should bear the noise and this Blueair filter ensures that you are not being disturbed during your sleep. The Blueair 403 air purifier gets you the most bang for your buck by maximizing clean air delivery in mid-size rooms up to 365 square feet. Independently tested by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) for Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR), the Blueair 403 has a rating of 240 cubic feet per minute for smoke, dust, and pollen with a superior 5 air changes an hour Read the full Blueair review
Quietest Air Purifier
- Alen BreatheSmart: This air purifier has the reputation of being one of the quietest. The contaminated air is passed through washable pre filters which help to remove large particles. Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA-Pure Filter
Live your best with the best-in-class performance of the Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA-Pure Filter for Allergies and Dust. Experience cleaner, more breathable air throughout the home and beyond.
Read full Alen Breathesmart review
Best Professional Allergy Air Purifier
- Honeywell 50250-S: The Honeywell 500250-S comes with a carbon pre filter which is the perfect way to remove contaminants of different sizes. It is the best option for people who are suffering from asthma or other breathing allergies making it an allergy pro air purifier. The Honeywell True HEPA Air Purifier was designed for extra large spaces! The permanent HEPA Filter helps capture airborne particles 0.3 microns or larger, greatly reducing the amount of dust, pollen, pet dander, and mold spores in the air. Read Full Honewell 50250-S True Hepa Air Purifier Review
Best Small Space Plugin Air Purifier
- Greentech GT50-S: This amazing small space plugin air purifier has the ability to free the air from contaminants such as smoke, allergens, dust and also bacteria like Salmonella, E-coli and Candida. This is also a great air purifier for mold. The GT50 is a Convenient Plug-In Purifier that is great for Lockers, Closets, Cabinets, Under Sinks, Pet Areas, Laundry Rooms, Bathrooms, Garbage Areas, & More! Read full GreenTech GT50 Small Space Plugin Air Purifier Review
Best Air Purifier for Cigarette Smoke
- Austin Health Mate HM450+: This is the best smoke air purifier. It can also filter out benzene, formaldehyde and VOCs. This is the ideal air purifier for tobacco smokers. The Austin Health Mate HM450+ is also one of the best air purifier for pets. Specialty air cleaner specifically designed for those who are chemically sensitive. Has 60 sq. ft. of medical HEPA, certified to remove 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns or larger. Contains 15 pounds of granular carbon and zeolite for the adsorption of odors, gasses, and chemicals. Read Full Austin Health Mate HM450+ Review
Best UV Air Purifier
- Surround Air XJ-3800 Intelli-Pro: With 7 filters, this purifier is able to give you the cleanest air which you can breathe. The Surround Air XJ-3800 Intelli-Pro Air Purifier outperforms Consumer Reports’ Top-Rated Air Purifier! Nearly 100% effective in clinical tests, and five times more effective in toxin removal test than top-rated model. Features a wide array of sensors and monitors to let you know everything from which pollutants are detected to when to change the filters. Read Full Surround Air XJ-3800 Intelli-Pro Review
Best Germicidal Therapure Air Purifier
- Therapure 440 UV Germicidal: This air purifier comes with HEPA filters. The 3 speed fan of the filter makes it one of the most user friendly designs. With UV germicidal protection to reduce germs and permanent HEPA type filtration to purify the air, the Therapure 440 air purifier will greatly improve the air quality in your home, office or other environments. The Therapure 440 air purifier can be programmed to turn off after a preset amount of time. The clean filter indicator light will turn on each time the filter needs to be cleaned. Read Full Therapure 440 UV Germicidal Review
Best True Hepa Air Purifier for Allergens
- Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover: Honeywell air purifiers are often recommended by physicians as part of an overall allergy treatment program. Our highly effective air purifiers capture 99.97% of the microscopic particles (0.3 microns and larger) that pass through their filters. Honeywell True HEPA air purifiers are efficient at capturing airborne particles like dust, pollen, tobacco smoke, cooking smoke, fireplace smoke, pet dander and mold spores. Read Full Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover Review
Best GermGuardian Air Purifier for Allergies
- GermGuardian AC5350B Elite 4-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier System: The 4-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier is perfect for allergy sufferers. With a True HEPA filter, it captures 99.97% of dust and allergens as small as .3 microns in size! According to the American Academy of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, doctors recommend HEPA air filtration to reduce exposure to indoor asthma triggers. More than just a filter, the UV-C light kills germs, while the charcoal filter captures odors. Read Full GermGuardian AC5350B Elite Review
Best Table Top Air Purifier
- GermGuardian AC4100 3-in-1 HEPA Air Purifier System: The GermGuardian AC4100, 3-in-1 Table Top Tower Air Purifier is perfect to have in the home or office. Its convenient compact size fits in small spaces and is ideal for small and medium size rooms. Multiple levels of powerful cleaning help improve indoor air quality. A HEPA filter captures 99% of airborne particles, as small as . 7 microns in size. It also captures dust mites, debris, mold spores, plant pollens, and pet dander. A charcoal and PCO filter work together to remove odors and smoke particles and dissolve airborne bacteria and mold. Read Full GermGuardian AC4100 3-in-1 HEPA Air Purifier Review
Best Air Purifier for Pets
- GermGuardian AC5250PT 3-in-1 Pet Pure True HEPA Air Purifier System: The 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier is perfect for allergy sufferers. True HEPA captures 99.97% of allergens including pet dander, dust mites and pollen. The Pet Pure is an antimicrobial agent added to the filter to inhibit the growth of mold, mildew and odor-causing bacteria on the surface of the filter. According to the American Academy of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, doctors recommend HEPA air filtration to reduce exposure to indoor asthma triggers. Read Full GermGuardian AC5250PT 3-in-1 Pet Pure True HEPA Air Purifier Review
Air is the most basic component for our survival. It is equally important as all we consume to keep our bodies going. Fresh air helps our mind and body to relax and stay in a state of calmness. Improve your air, improve your life!